Positive Flow Control Hydraulics
The 988H Positive Flow Control (PFC) Hydraulic System is setting a new standard for hydraulic response, performance and efficiency. The implement system is equipped with one electronically-controlled, fully variable piston pump for fast, productive cycles. PFC has concurrent pump and valve control. This is achieved through an integrated solenoid with a force feedback system which keeps the displacement where it is required for optimized pump control. By optimizing pump control, hydraulic oil flow is proportionate to implement lever stroke. Benefits:
- Lowered fuel consumption by up to five percent
- Improved hydraulic response, giving the operator better feel and control of the bucket
- Improved power efficiency and lower system heat
The Cat® C18 engine with ACERT® Technology is U.S. EPA Tier 3 and EU Stage III compliant. It features increased horsepower and efficient fuel management for quick response, high productivity and exceptional service life. A sculptured cylinder block provides greater strength and is lighter weight.
New and current features are built into the 988H and depending on application requirements can provide up to 15 percent less fuel burn.
988H Fuel Management System
The Cat® 988H Wheel Loader Fuel Management System delivers solid productivity and fuel savings of as much as 15 percent in truck loading and more in load and carry operations. By lowering engine speed during all but the digging portion of each cycle, the proprietary system minimizes impact on productivity while gaining significant fuel savings.
Auto Idle Kickdown (AIK)
If an operator is not actively operating the 988H for a period of time, the AIK system will temporarily reduce the engine speed to save fuel. After an automated engine speed reduction, the system will automatically resume the engine speed to the previous setting when the operator engages the implement control pod of the F-N-R switch or the STIC Steer.
Engine Idle Shutdown
This new feature will automatically shutdown the engine after the machine has been in a safe idling state for an extended amount of time. The operator in the cab will be audibly and visually warned before the shutdown occurs.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) and Rimpull Control System (RCS)
ICTC combined with the RCS allows the operator maximum flexibility in the modulating rimpull.
- Left brake pedal modulates rimpull from 100 to 25 percent for reduced tire slippage and wear. After 25 percent is achieved, further pedal travel applies the brake.
- RCS reduces the potential for wheel slippage without reducing the hydraulic efficiency. An in-cab switch allows the operator to set percentage of maximum rimpull to meet operating conditions. Four settings are available, and operators can set rimpull at 70, 80, 90 and 100 percent.
- A lock-up clutch torque converter provides direct drive efficiency which translates into improved fuel efficiency in certain applications.
Variable Shift Control
VSC matches transmission shifting patterns to machine application requirements, by shifting at lower engine rpms. This both improves shift quality and fuel efficiency in certain applications.
Combining the use of robotic welding and castings in critical high-stress areas, more than 90 percent of the 988H structure is robotically-welded to provide highly consistent welds and increased strength. Castings are also used in several areas to increase strength by helping to spread the loads and reduce the number of parts.
Front Frame and Rear Frame
Highly engineered and a field-proven combination, the 988H uses high-strength plates and castings which distribute loads and increases structure robustness. A key differentiator from other manufacturers’ machines is the box-section rear frame and box-shaped loader tower. The box section absorbs torsional forces generated in a loading cycle, maintaining alignment for hitch pins and driveline. The box-shaped loader tower resists shock and torsional loads, maintaining hitch and loader linkage pin alignment, maximizing pin life.
The 988H features the revolutionary box boom linkage design. Known for its durability, the 988H box boom linkage has high strength castings in pin joint areas that resist twisting and minimize stress. A B-pin bucket mount is placed at a height to prevent bucket healing due to better stress distribution from bucket to boom. Additionally, a four-hinge plate bucket design is utilized to increase bucket durability.
Axle-Shaft, Oil Disc Brakes
These brakes are adjustment-free, fully hydraulic and completely sealed. Disc face grooves provide cooling even when brakes are applied for a longer component life.
- Location of the brakes allow for improved serviceability. The axle shaft brake design allows for brake service while leaving the final drive intact.
- Axle-shaft brakes require less force by operating on the low torque side of the axle. Combined with improved axle oil circulation for increased cooling, the oil-enclosed, multiple disc brake design improves durability.
Best-in-Class Working Environment
A comfortable operator is a productive operator, which is why Caterpillar has designed the 988H with a best in-class working environment for this size wheel loader class.
- World class cab with over 3.18 m³ (112 ft³) of volume incorporates features for operator comfort and ergonomics, visibility and ease of operation.
- Ergonomic controls are fully adjustable and designed for low-effort comfort. Switches and controls for various systems are located within easy reach of the operator.
- Interior noise levels are reduced to a quiet 72 dB(A).
- Caterpillar Monitoring System (EMS-III) provides information on machine's major components. This includes gauge displays for the fuel tank level; temperature gauges for the engine coolant, torque converter and hydraulic oil; tachometer analog gauge with digital readout for gear selection and ground speed and a monitoring system.
- Optional features are available for improved visibility. These options include a rear vision camera to clearly monitor movement behind the wheel loader and high intensity discharge (HID) lights for greater visibility at night.
- With the update, new options to include heated seat for cold weather operations and radio offerings of Bluetooth, MPS and satellite options are now available.
New Payload Control System 3.0 (Optional)
The new Payload Control System (PCS) 3.0 is designed to help the 988H owners and operators manage truck payloads and produce accurate records of material movement. This advanced electronic control system is designed for on-the-go weighing. With the new PCS 3.0 system, accuracy is now ±1 percent, has improved interface, can record up to 1,000 trucks and can store 25 different materials for continued record accuracy of job site production.
Operators can easily set the dump height, return to dig/carry or bucket angle from the comfort of the cab. Standard, in-cab programmable kickouts are located in the upper left panel. This feature provides more flexibility and improved productivity when the job requires load and dump target heights.
Cat Product Link
Cat® Product Link enables convenient, remote monitoring of equipment. Get usable information to keep jobs on schedule, maintain machine health and reduce fleet owning and operating costs.
- Simplify fleet management and monitor machine use
- Link all machines, regardless of brand
- Three levels of insight to meet specific business requirements
New Performance Series Bucket Offering
With the 988H update, Caterpillar introduces a new bucket offering ranging from 6.4 m³ (8.3 yd³) to 7.7 m³ (10 yd³). The new buckets offer design enhancements to include larger throat opening, increased floor length and improved setback angle. These design enhancements yield improved bucket fill factor and load retention in carry position.
Spade Edge Rock Buckets
These buckets with bolt-on segments are available in 6.4 m³ (8.3 yd³) to 7.7 m³ (10 yd³). Each accepts up to two sets of sidebar protectors (4), featured shouldered, double-strap adapters, easily changed bolt-on segments and several tip options.
General Purpose Buckets
Available in 6.3 m³ (8.2 yd³) Straight Edge Rock, as well as 7.0 m³ (9.2 yd³) and 7.7 m³ (10 yd³) General Purpose configurations. The General Purpose bucket features double strap adapters and accepts two sets of sidebar protectors, bolt-on segments and tips. The General Purpose bucket is available with bolt-on cutting edge, bolt-on adapters or bolt-on adapters with segments.
Heavy Duty Rock Bucket
This bucket is available with a 6.4 m³ (8.33 yd³) capacity and is recommended for use in face loading where abrasion and moderate impact is encountered. This bucket features additional wear protection items including independently attached edge and adapter covers, additional liners and wear plates, one set of sidebar protectors and a thicker base edge.
Heavy Duty Granite Bucket
This 6.4 m³ (8.33 yd³) capacity bucket is recommended for use in face loading where moderate abrasion and high impact is encountered. It features additional wear protection items including four sidebar protectors, thicker base edge and adapters, additional liners and wear plates and bolt-on half arrow segments.
The 988H is designed to ensure minimal downtime through ground level or platform access, grouped service points, and attention to key serviceable areas on the machine.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Ground level viewable site gauges on all major systems.
- Electrical disconnect switch and hydraulic lockout switch allow service technicians to perform maintenance while the machine stays static. Other shutdown or lockout devices include ground level engine shutdown and ground level steering hitch lock lever.
- Longer service intervals on fluids and filters.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to the engine oil dipstick and filler spout, S·O·SSM ports, fuel filters, air conditioner compressor, engine oil filters, alternator, starting receptacle, air filter service indicator, cooler fill and ether starting aid.
- Maintenance-free batteries
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spilling potential environmental contaminants. Ecology drains are standard on the hydraulic, engine, transmission and coolant systems.
- Centralized remote pressure taps.
Cat dealers can help customers compare and choose the right machine for their business.
Cat dealers offer financing options to meet a variety of needs.
Improve operating technique for better productivity and profit with the latest Cat dealer training resources.
Cat dealers are with customers every step of the way with unsurpassed worldwide parts support, trained technicians and customer support agreements.
Protecting the Environment
With the 988H having a long legacy, it is only fitting this machine has features and services that show environmental responsibility.
- Burns up to five percent less fuel than the previous model. Offers a number of fuel saving features to further lower fuel consumption, which not only benefits operating cost but reduces the 988H's CO2 footprint.
- First in this wheel loader size class to meet Tier 3 emissions, and Caterpillar continues to develop technology to meet changing regulatory requirements.
- Maintenance-free, ease of maintenance or extended maintenance, attention has been paid to lowering routine maintenance cost while eliminating waste to the environment.
- Built for multiple lives, the Cat 988H is one of the most rebuilt products. To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost while benefiting the environment.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
At Caterpillar, we have designed the 988H with your most important asset in mind - People. Drawing from a history of technological advancements and practical wisdom, you can be assured that your people are protected while working in, on or around the 988H Wheel Loader.
Good visibility, whether it be positioning to the truck or watching for people and vehicles on the site, the 988H offers a number of standard and optional features to enhance job site visibility. Standard and optional features include articulated wiper/washer system with intermittent features, optional rear vision camera, optional high intensity discharge (HID) lights, optional warning beacon and optional turn signals.
Access and Egress
Getting on and off the machine is one of the leading causes of injury on a job site. The 988H has a number of features to ensure your operator gets safely on and off the 988H. The 988H includes primary and secondary stairwell exits, punch stamped tread plates located throughout the machine, ground level night time stairwell light switch, full perimeter railings on the upper platform, side platform emergency egress and toe kicks and optional roading fenders.
Daily and routine maintenance should not pose a safety hazard to your operator or service technician. With the 988H, design efforts were taken to group service points with convenient access. As seen in the serviceability section, all service points are at ground level or platform access to maintain three points of contact, and a number of disconnect switches are available to ensure the 988H is static during service.
Operator Health and Well Being
For the 988H, the operator and safety go hand-in-hand. The 988H offers many features that enhance operator comfort and aid in keeping the operator safe. In the cab, all controls are ergonomically designed for easy adjustment, low-effort and easy to reach controls minimize repetitive motion and potential strains. With a cab filtration system, low operator sound and optional features such as ride control or secondary steering, all effort has been made to protect the operators from environmental elements that can cause issues with their health or well-being.